Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Looking forward to Mother's Day! AND - Elizabeth Taylor's 1st piece of Jewelry

You know, you always hear stories of how little girls used to wear their mother's pearls, make up and heels?  Looking back, oh gosh, I never did.  Mom wore very little jewelry or make up - and I certainly didn't appreciate heels until I was in highschool (by then Mom and I were the same shoe size, so I just wore her's).  

One of my happiest memories was riding on the vespa with Mom.  My siblings had already started school so I had Mom all to myself.  We would cruise around on her blue vespa, and occasionally go pick up some noodles for lunch.  I would stand in front of the seats, feeling the wind hitting my forehead (I was barely tall enough to clear the dashboard), and then see the noodle soup wrapped in plastic bags swing back and forth on the handle bars - just brushing by my cheeks...  Thinking back, it sounded so dangerous - what was my mom thinking?!  But we had so much fun, so much fun.  I love you Mom <3


Gold plate and colored stone brooch
circa 1965

I was reading Elizabeth Taylor's memoir a while back, and she talked about this brooch - it was such a sweet memory.  As a child, she secretly saved up all of her allowances (50 cents per week) for months to buy this brooch for her mom for Mother's Day.  It was her mother's most valued possession, and when she passed she left it for Elizabeth.  Isn't that just precious?



Love,
Seimi


Taylor, Elizabeth. My Love Affair with Jewelry. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2002

No comments:

Post a Comment