Friday, April 8, 2011

Elizabeth Taylor - My Love Affair with Jewelry (excerpt)

My Ice Skating Rink


Photo Source

"Toward the end of 1957, Mike (Todd) and I had been on this crazy junket promoting Around the World in 80 Days, and our last stop was in Russia.  We were on a tour in one of the great museums and we had this darling Russian guide with beautiful gray hair, and he was dressed in a perfectly matching gray suit.  He was showing us the painting and sculpture galleries, and the jewelry, which was my main interest.  When we came out of the museum, my diamond ring (which I had to sell years later) was sparkling away in the sunshine, and this dear man couldn't take his eyes off it.  He looked at me and said, 'I mean no offense, madam, but a stone of that beauty should be in a museum, where everyone can see it.' 'You know,' I answered, 'I disagree with you.  When I wear it, anyone can look at it, and I'll let anybody try it on.  So more people have probably touched this stone, seen the beauty in the pure sunshine or when it sparkles at night.  Anyone who is around me can see it up close.  Isn't that better than putting it in a museum?  How many people in a museum can actually take a rock of this size out of a case and put it on their finger?  Besides, I take care of it.  It's a part of me while I have it, and I'm there to protect it and insure it.'  At that moment he finally understood what I meant.  Then I asked whether he wanted to try it on."


Taylor, Elizabeth. My Love Affair with Jewelry. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2002

1 comment:

  1. I love the designs of the rings.These rings are very much pretty.It took me 1 hour because I was admiring them.
    engagement rings canada

    ReplyDelete